Throughout Race Forward’s history, we have explored the significance of the role of arts and culture in movement building and advancing racial equity. With support from the New York City Cultural Agenda Fund in The New York Community Trust, we are pleased to launch our new Racial Equity in the Arts Innovation Lab, which will train 60 New York City arts and cultural organizations to deepen their racial equity work.
For more information, see the following press releases:
- New York City’s arts sector is racially exclusive, and does not reflect the racial and cultural realities of New Yorkers of color.
- Racial equity work is siloed and under-resourced in the arts sector.
- The arts sector, like many others, is entrenched in a diversity (instead of an equitable outcomes) framework.
- Build analyses and skills in racial equity and applying a race lens to: cultural equity, policy making in the arts, and stakeholder/community engagement.
- Support New York City arts organizations in developing concrete, actionable, race-explicit interventions (prototypes) that build practice, comfort and a working knowledge of equity.
- Curate a collaborative peer learning and action network for racial equity within the NYC arts sector.
- Push the arts past diversity frameworks into systemic change (addressing institutional and structural racism).