Race Forward (founded 1981) and Center for Social Inclusion (founded 2002) – both cornerstones of the movement for racial equity – merged in 2017 to form the new Race Forward. Separately, and sometimes together, our work has shifted racial discourse and practice among hundreds of thousands of people in government, philanthropy, journalism, and advocacy organizations over the last 36 years. As Race Forward and CSI combine forces, all of our work continues to align with both CSI’s and Race Forward’s missions to bring systemic analysis and an innovative approach to help people and organizations take effective action toward racial equity.
Race Forward is the largest multi-racial racial justice organization in the country, as measured by the number of staff, extent of reach, and clarity of focus—leading with and centering of racial equity. The new Race Forward is home to the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities for all. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlinesand presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial conference on racial justice. We work with communities of color and across public and private sectors to advance an inclusive multi-racial democracy.
Grant Writer / Grants Manager is a critical position that will help execute the vision and growth of Race Forward, while raising the organization’s profile nationally, in pursuit of high-value partnerships with foundations. These partnerships will yield revenue and expand awareness of Race Forward across sectors, with a focus on the philanthropic sector. The position requires a strong writer, and a strategic thinker and synthesizer who is able to ignite enthusiasm and inspire people to support our cause to advance racial equity. This person will understand the Race Forward mission and strategy, and will communicate effectively—internally and externally. The Grant Writer/ Grants Manager reports directly to the Senior Director of Development and Partnerships, and will partner closely with the entire Development team, as well as the Leadership, Program, and Finance teams. This position is located in Race Forward’s New York City or Oakland office. This is not a remote position.
A competitive applicant will possess a deep commitment to and understanding of current racial justice issues. This is a unique opportunity for a talented fundraiser to help put racial equity into practice.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Grant Writing and reporting- 60%
- Independently author and prepare comprehensive funding proposals and reports for institutional awards
- Collaborate with Senior Director of Development and Partnerships to cultivate and steward institutional foundation relationships in support of Race Forward’s activities
- Collaborate with Senior Director and SVP of Development and Partnerships to raise the annual and multi-year budget, including reserves, in consultation with the Executive Team, Board, and Program Directors.
- Customize key external case statements, proposals, reports, concept papers, letters of intent, presentations, and other required proposal-related materials, in whatever format is best suited for requests
- Acknowledge institutional funders with customized approach, including letters, recognition through marketing, and/or event participation
Grants coordination – 40%
- Work closely with Program and Impact Planning and Evaluation teams to integrate objectives/outcomes into grant proposals.
- Coordinates rigorously among departments to ensure a smooth flow of information, and to facilitate a thoughtful, strategic relationship among the Development and Partnerships, Program, Finance, and leadership teams.
- Maintain institutional funding systems to track all grants submissions, reporting, and prospects
- Maintain funder files
- Ensure grant reporting and follow-up to keep grantors engaged and informed
- Confirm financial compliance with all grant requirements
- Collaborate with Finance and Program teams on grant budgets
- 5 - 8 years of professional work experience, minimum 5 years of grant writing experience, with results in new partnerships and grants, including successful solicitation of six-figure grants.
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge of and commitment to racial justice funding and organizing. Direct racial justice organizing experience preferred.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, with the ability to edit others’ work and to write and speak in clear and compelling ways. Ability to translate program language into powerful and persuasive arguments for funding. Ability to write quickly, and to manage multiple writing deadlines at a time.
- Demonstrated experience writing proposals and reports for progressive social justice institutions
- Experience with project management and process improvement efforts
- Skilled at establishing and maintaining effective working relationships, including the ability to communicate effectively and lead, influence, and collaborate with colleagues in a multi-racial, multi-generational work environment
- Exceptional work ethic and track record of personal initiative required
- Ability to plan and administer multiple concurrent projects, under concrete deadlines.
- Willingness to work periodic weekends and evenings.
- Commitment to using Salesforce
The starting salary for this position is $75,000. In addition, we offer an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurances, employer contribution to retirement plan and to flexible spending account, vacations, and a sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter, resume / CV (not to exceed 3 pages), list of 2-3 references to email@example.com with subject heading “Grant Writer/ Grants Manager”.
A review of applications will begin on September 21, and will continue until the position is filled.
Race Forward is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, color, sex, gender identity, age, national origin or disability.