Founded in 1981, Race Forward brings systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. Founded in 2002, CSI catalyzes community, government, and other institutions to dismantle structural racial inequity and create equitable outcomes for all.
The new Race Forward is home to the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities for all. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlinesand presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial conference on racial justice.
Race Forward’s policy team has an innovative and unique approach to policy. We believe that those most impacted by institutional and structural racism also hold the solutions, so we work in partnership with communities of color and local leaders to support new models that amplify and elevate the contributions of people of color. We then identify opportunities to translate local models to scale. Another important component of our policy work is shifting the national conversation on race by partnering with national, regional, and local coalitions and organizations to utilize a structural race analysis in the development of policy; ensuring that new solutions drive toward racially equitable outcomes.
The Director of Policy and Strategy position reports directly to the Vice President of Policy and is responsible for providing programmatic leadership on multiple policy issues addressing structural inclusion and equity. The Director of Policy and Strategy works with a small team of program staff who analyze, catalyze and support making operational policy reform strategies. The Director of Policy and Strategy should be comfortable as a policy generalist, with an emphasis for subject matter expertise in environmental justice and exposure to broad climate and infrastructure issues. The main portfolio of work that this position will oversee is our energy democracy efforts, which are focused on ensuring that local communities are innovators, planners, and decision-makers on how to use and create energy that is local and renewable.
This candidate should possess a strong and proven track record on alliance and coalition building, policy development, the ability to engage in policy campaigns, and adept at partnering with both community organizations and government institutions. Candidates should have a strong background in working with grassroots, community-based organizations and have skill and expertise in facilitation, strategy development, and use of a racial equity analysis.
The essential functions of the Director of Policy and Strategy is to partner with program staff in strategic policy development and to support policy research and analysis to advance policy advocacy strategies. This includes supporting the Vice Presidents and managing program staff in the development of external partnerships to build support for transformative policies to create lasting opportunities and equitable outcomes for communities of color. This also includes drafting and editing reports and supporting fundraising and communications activities. This position requires a combination of strong analytic and strategic thinking skills, policy development and analysis skills, and strong organizational relationship and communication skills and experience. We seek a professional with a demonstrated ability to successfully manage large and complicated projects, while also implementing and managing the daily logistical demands of a program centered staff who work cross-functionally to respond to the needs of the organization and its constituents.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- · Identify policy interventions to dismantle structural racial inequity;
- · The candidate will play a lead role in Race Forward’s Energy and Climate policy areas;
- · The Candidate will support Race Forward’s Food, Health, Transportation and other policy areas;
- · Conduct related policy research and analysis to advance programmatic and project goals;
- · Manage and support Program Associates and other staff as directed in the development of transformative policy ideas, partnerships and public education strategies to gain support for Race Forward policy ideas;
- · Build and maintain relationships with grassroots community organizations, government officials, and national advocacy organizations;
- · Support community-based organizations in the development of advocacy tools to advance policy development and public education strategies, including reports, talking points, op-eds and blogs;
- · Coordinate policy research with the other research staff engaged in quantitative and qualitative research to ensure sufficient data for development of policy reform ideas and initiatives;
- · Support the design and implementation of policy-related trainings, where appropriate, and support the leadership development and capacity building strategies by providing policy research and interventions;
- · Support the scheduling, design and development of meetings and convenings to advance coalition building and collaborations on policy reform initiatives;
- · Assist the Vice President for Development & Partnerships in identification of funding sources, proposal writing and grant reporting;
- · Assist the Communications department with earned media content and social media;
- · Assist in the preparation of materials for the Board of Directors;
- · Supervise program staff on policy and advocacy strategy development and partnership formation, as well as contractors, interns and temporary employees hired to assist in specific policy and advocacy projects;
- · Assure the timely, accurate and efficient completion of all tasks;
- · Support the Program Team;
- · Support the program planning process for annual and strategic plans.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- · Demonstrated commitment to understanding and eradicating structural racial inequity;
- · At least five years of policy advocacy experience, including policy formation, alliance building and advocacy strategy development;
- · At least three years of management experience;
- · Familiarity with legal and policy research techniques;
- · Ability to work independently and gather, organize, analyze, edit and report policy related and quantitative and qualitative data to supervisors, organizational partners and funders;
- · Ability to prepare communication materials based on research findings to further identified policy objectives;
- · Strong analytic, writing and presentation skills;
- · Strong organizational, management and people skills. Ability to work effectively in a team and strong partnership development and maintenance skills;
- · Ability to support the strategic policy development skills of supervised staff;
- · Ability to work in a small office environment.
HOW TO APPLY
A review of applications will begin on September 28, and will continue until the position is filled.
Submit a cover letter, resume / CV (not to exceed 3 pages), list of 2-3 references, and up to two writing samples to email@example.com subject heading “Director of Policy and Strategy”.
Employer paid Health, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Commuter/Remote Benefits, competitive Time off policies, and employer retirement contribution.