Position Title: VP of Technology
Position Location: NYC or Oakland
About Race Forward:
In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. With increased capacity as a joined organization, Race Forward catalyzes community, government, and other institutions to dismantle structural racial inequity and create equitable outcomes for all.
The new Race Forward is home to the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlines and presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial conference on racial justice.
We are searching for a VP of Technology, who is passionate about our mission, to build and lead a powerhouse digital team tasked with the restructuring, revamping, and running of the organization’s digital property Colorlines.com—a media outlet, the RaceForward.org website, and other sites in the Race Forward portfolio. You will build and advance the technological foundations to deliver on the organization’s goals and streamline its operations, including data and database management.
We are seeking someone obsessed with pristine code and elegant UX/UI. Someone who’s plugged into the market and understands the latest software and hardware technologies and is always looking for ways to optimize the organization’s use of those technologies. Someone who can manage a team that covers IT and web systems for a large, growing staff seeking greater alignment and creativity. Someone curious and always looking to learn and improve the ways in which technology can accelerate the movement for racial justice.
Race Forward: The Center for Racial Justice Innovation united with the Center for Social Inclusion in 2017 to become the new Race Forward. Founded in 1981, Race Forward brings systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. Founded in 2002, CSI catalyzes community, government, and other institutions to dismantle structural racial inequity and create equitable outcomes for all. The new Race Forward is home to the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities for all. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlines and presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial conference on racial justice.
- Strategy & Planning
- A newly created position to build, lead, and grow the digital infrastructure of the organization.
- Working with VP of Narrative, Arts and Culture to lead the technical aspects of website redesign assessment for RaceForward.org and other Race Forward associated sites.
- Work with VP of Institutional and Sectoral Change and the Government Alliance on Race and Equity portal redesign and development.
- Research and introduce new technologies that would further streamline organizational goals to functional and executive teams.
- Understand the needs, strategies, and opportunities for a media company and interactive marketing.
- Technical Management
- Provide technical management and mentoring to institution and team
- Lead the process of site architecture and requirements gathering, ensuring efficient, clean, and standardized code throughout the process, and application of architectural and functional specifications to projects, following known best practices. Work with external vendors and in-house web developer to implement the process.
- Understand user requirements and usability metrics and oversee their implementation, set baselines and analyze for continuous optimization. Work closely with Audience Engagement specialist, Comms, and Colorlines team for implementation
- Lead vendor selection and management
- Oversee the technological needs of Race Forward events, especially Facing Race.
- Strategize and guide organizational directives and best practices for tech environment
- Project Management
- Oversee projects from conception to completion ensuring that they are technically sound and resources are used efficiently.
- Prioritize and implement the redesign of Colorlines.com.
- Work with digital team to create in-house standards, including technical audits, system architecture, functional and technical requirements.
- Development and ongoing management of department budget, including purchase approvals, decision making, and overseeing vetting for organization wide tools & solutions.
- Senior Level Management
- As a key member of the Senior Management Team, reports to Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration and consults with executive and senior staff to set tech priorities for the organization.
- Manages two positions: IT Operations & Database Manager and Web Developer.
- Oversees and manages information technology issues and website maintenance issues, including aligning of in-house systems.
- 8+ years of experience of relevant experience, ideally working in a creative environment (ad agency, etc.) or development shop.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or industry equivalent required.
- Self-starter ready to take ownership of a digital team and grow it to the next level
- Has actively led large-scale web projects defining scope and functionality.
- At least 3 years as tech lead/running a team.
- Excellent understanding of web, mobile, and phone technology landscape
- Experience with multiple Content Management Systems—Drupal is a requirement.
- An understanding of a variety of programming languages and platforms—PHP, MySQL, HTML/HTML5, CSS/CSS3, JQuery, key Drupal APIs.
- Knowledge of APEX coding
- Digital Project Management experience.
- Well versed in development and implementation and recording of site metrics
- Wide breadth of experience using and planning web applications.
- Has practical experience leading and working with distributed teams.
- Actively planned and estimated architecting complex web applications.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills to a non-digitally fluent audience.
- Understanding and overseeing of data and database management.
- Experience with CRM database integrations and build-out
- Strategize and manage vendor relationships with tech support contractors.
- Inventory, identify and understand technology tools and systems already in place to advance organizational goals.
- Experience working within a news media outlet and/or a non-profit organization a plus.
- This is an onsite position with some flexible scheduling (could be remote one day a week, dependent on needs).
Salary Range: $100,000-$110,000
Benefits include: Employer paid Health, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Commuter/Remote Benefits, competitive Time off policies, and employer retirement contribution.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF or Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject VP of Technology.
Race Forward is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, color, sex, gender identity, age, national origin or disability.