In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. With increased capacity as a joined organization, Race Forward catalyzes community, government, and other institutions to dismantle structural racial inequity and create equitable outcomes for all.
The new Race Forward is home to the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlines and presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial conference on racial justice.
The Media Strategist will report to the Director of Strategic Communications & Public Engagement, and will work closely with the department and broader staff to promote Race Forward and its programs including Colorlines, Facing Race, and the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE). The Media Strategist will work with staff across the organization on the communications aspects of their projects, with a focus on: proactive media strategies, media relations management, communications and earned media training.
The Media Strategist will be responsible for elevating the profile of the organization and individual staff as well as shaping the public's perception of Race Forward through proactive and reactive media engagement and other public engagement activities. The Media Strategist will serve as the organization's "wordsmith," responsible for drafting all press materials, institutional language, in addition to writing message points for programs and rapid responses, scripting for events and press conferences, op-eds, LTE’s, organizational statements, leadership quotations, among other ongoing requests.
This individual will have excellent writing and editing skills, with an ability to distill complex topics into language that is accessible and persuasive. A strong familiarity with the current political and media landscapes and knowledge of prominent news outlets, reporters, and influencers are essential, as is the ability to identify and develop creative frames for shifting narratives and impacting public discourse about race.
Media Strategy & Engagement:
- Develop and implement media plans for advancing racial justice that speak to the political moment, leveraging Race Forward & Colorlines resources and staff;
- Identify and collaborate on rapid response efforts, collaborating with the communications team and other key staff;
- Lead media outreach surrounding the upcoming Facing Race National Conference; solicit, process, and respond to all media credential applications;
- Support development of Race Forward's narrative and framing strategy.
Writing & Communications:
- Draft press releases, statements, quotes, organizational and project-specific talking points on a range of racial justice topics;
- Draft, review, and edit communications materials as needed, offering recommendations for increased interdepartmental alignment and consistency on framing and messaging;
- Collaborate with communications team (including social media, video, design) and other staff (including research and training) to advance racial justice narratives and raise the visibility of Colorlines.
Targeted Pitching & Media Relations:
- Regular pitching of Race Forward content and staff, coordinating with media to develop stories with a racial justice lens;
- Build and maintain press lists and strong relationships with reporters, editors, and producers, developing creative ways to engage media contacts;
- Manage and coordinate press conferences and teleconferences;
- Distribute press materials through Meltwater, PR Newswire, and individual pitching.
Training & Interview Coordination:
- Vet and coordinate all media interviews, and provide coordination support for public appearances and other speaking engagements, negotiating fees when possible;
- Provide training and prepare staff for media interviews, public appearances, meetings, and speaking engagements;
- As needed, serve as a strong, charismatic organizational representative for interviews and other media opportunities.
Reporting & Administrative:
- Track and provide regular reports on media hits and other key metrics;
- Provide staff with regular media updates and Race Forward highlights in the news;
- Process invoices and vet consultant/services contracts;
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Familiarity using PR databases such as Meltwater, Cision, etc. for identifying media targets, building press lists, and issuing newswires.
- Experience working with ActOn, MailChimp, or other email marketing software;
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus;
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated passion for and understanding of racial justice, with an explicit race lens and systems analysis;
- Avid consumer of news media, plugged into the news cycle. Familiarity with a wide range of media outlets and writers; Relationships with press people and outlets a plus;
- Experience generating media coverage for a variety of issues, with a creative, solutions-oriented approach to media engagement;
- Experience conducting media trainings and strong collaboration skills in working with staff who have varying levels of expertise;
- Experience with narrative and framing strategy;
- Strong relationship-building and project management skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Comfortable with public speaking, integrating key messages and storytelling;
- Experience drafting talking points, media pitches, statements, press releases, Letters to the Editor, long-form opinion pieces, etc.;
- Demonstrated success securing placement for op-eds and LTEs;
- Must thrive on teamwork, innovation, and particularly understand the dynamic and sometimes unpredictable nature of the nonprofit, activist, media environment;
- Experience with Meltwater and PR Newswire;
- Proficiency in using Google apps including Google Drive, Google Hangout, and Google calendaring functions. Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Asana, and mobile apps.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email HR@raceforward.org with your resume, cover letter, two writing samples (preferably an op-ed and a press release), and "Media Strategist" job in the Subject line.
Race Forward is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, color, sex, gender identity, age, national origin or disability.