Position Title: GARE Network Manager
Position Location: New York or Oakland or Remote
About Race Forward:
In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. With increased capacity as a joined organization, Race Forward catalyzes community, government, and other institutions to dismantle structural racial inequity and create equitable outcomes for all.
The new Race Forward is home to the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlines and presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial conference on racial justice.
Race Forward is a fast‐paced, collaborative, cutting‐edge national policy strategy organization that works to transform structural racial inequity into structural opportunity. As a multi‐issue racial justice organization, Race Forward works at the intersection of big ideas, grassroots advocacy and institutional transformation. We work with community groups and national organizations to develop policy ideas, foster effective leadership, and develop communications tools for an opportunity‐rich world in which we all will thrive, identifying strategic opportunities for structurally transformative policies that will create inclusion for communities of color and solutions to some of nation’s biggest problems. Race Forward catalyzes local community organizations, government, and other institutions to dismantle structural racial equity and create equitable outcomes for all. The organization seeks a Network Manager to join its Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE) program team.
The GARE Network Manager will provide support to the GARE membership network and manage all aspects of network operations and activities. The membership network currently has more than 150-member jurisdictions and a presence in more than 25 states. Given the rapid growth of the GARE membership network, this position plays an important role in the network’s ability to offer streamlined support and resources to its members. Work includes providing relevant information to jurisdictions as they join GARE, providing staffing and content support for GARE subject area groups, and providing support to the Vice President of Institutional Change and the GARE Regional Managers.
The Network Manager’s essential functions include managing the on-boarding process as new jurisdictions become GARE members, supporting the network’s rapid response team and managing the GARE membership database. This includes scheduling and facilitating on-boarding calls, tracking membership information through AirTable, writing and editing for the GARE website, and managing the members-only portal of the website. In addition, this position will be responsible for connecting jurisdictions to other peers within the network, managing member relationships, fielding requests for additional information, and other necessary network management activities.
GARE Membership Network Operations and Activities:
- Manage the on-boarding process with new GARE members;
- Assist in staffing the GARE Steering Committee, monthly membership meetings, and the annual in-person meeting;
- Respond to external questions and requests about the GARE membership network;
- Maintain and update the GARE website;
- Co-chair the GARE Rapid Response Working Group and plan/coordinate associated webinars;
- Offer support and staffing for other subject area groups as needed;
- Provide technical assistance for GARE webinars;
- Support Vice President of Institutional Change and GARE Regional Managers as needed;
- Monitor and support member priorities and emerging topics;
- Maintain database of members in AirTable;
- Update the GARE membership application and other GARE materials as needed.
Involve and Connect GARE Members
- Identify opportunities for cross-jurisdictional collaboration;
- Maintain and regularly update the GARE members-only portal;
- Write blog posts that elevate the work being done by member jurisdictions;
- Promote member engagement;
- Manage relationships with new jurisdictions and provide support/additional information as requested;
- Track member status and renewal;
- Offer facilitation support for GARE meetings and events as needed;
- Support jurisdictions in identifying training opportunities as needed;
- Identify opportunities to expand how the GARE membership network operates;
- Outreach to potential new members as needed.
- Respect for differences whether racial, ethnic, class, sexual orientation, gender or class;
- Effective, respectful and timely communications with supervisors, co-workers, vendors and others;
- Effective team work and collegiality to ensure the timely, strategic and successful completion of work;
- Listens effectively, seeks and accepts feedback, and learning and growing;
- Is an analytic, thoughtful and strategic thinking and actor, considering the mission, objectives, work plans and goals of Race Forward’s work and demonstrating an understanding of the impact of her/his decisions and behavior on the organization;
- Seeks out advice, counsel and permission appropriately, but is not afraid to act when it is required to be effective.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and anti-poverty work;
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working with government; or a minimum of 2 years of experience working with networks, coalitions, or cohorts;
- Excellent program management and organizational skills;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task effectively;
- Analytical and strategic thinking skills;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills,
- Ability to absorb and synthesize information quickly and identify opportunities to streamline processes;
- Effective facilitation skills;
- Proactive, self-directed, and able to multi-task effectively.
This position requires long periods of time at a desk on a computer and includes travel at least 40 percent of the time.
Race Forward offers competitive compensation for a high performing staff team leading the work to advance racial equity. The GARE Network Manager position will pay between $75,000 and $81,000.
Benefits include: Employer paid Health, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Commuter/Remote Benefits, competitive Time off policies, and employer retirement contribution.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject GARE Network Manager.