Position Title: GARE Gulf/Delta Region Project Manager
Position Location: Gulf/Delta Region or Georgia
About Race Forward:
In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. With increased capacity as a joined organization, Race Forward catalyzes community, government, and other institutions to dismantle structural racial inequity and create equitable outcomes for all.
The new Race Forward is home to the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlines and presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial conference on racial justice.
The GARE Gulf/Delta Region Project Manager will provide deep technical assistance and support for local and regional governmental jurisdictions working to advance racial equity in seven Southern states, building on significant work underway in the South and bringing additional attention to the states in the Gulf and Delta regions. Work includes developing cohorts of local governmental jurisdictions who work through ongoing training and capacity building processes. This project will build off of GARE and Race Forward’s substantive experience in operationalizing racial equity in local government. The project provides a new entry point for jurisdictions beginning racial equity work. The project will work with jurisdictions in AL, AR, FL, LA, MS, OK, and TX. The Project Manager will weave together content, peer-to-peer learning and resources for participation, individual jurisdiction implementation strategies and communications support. This wrap-around support for jurisdictions builds on the success of existing GARE strategies, and is a promising approach in encouraging jurisdictions to advance racial equity with the resources to succeed.
The Gulf/Delta Region GARE Project Manager’s essential functions include the development and implementation of the regional cohorts, including coordinating workshops, convenings, trainings, facilitation, tool and curriculum development, and identifying opportunities for strategic action by the cohort. This includes cultivating relationships with partners, supporting cohort efforts and gatherings, conducting research and writing, policy development and advocacy work, and conducting relevant project management duties. Preference for candidates located (or willing to locate) in the geographic focus of the position, or in GA which would allow for coordination with the GARE South Project Manager. The GARE Gulf/Delta Region Project Manager reports to the Vice President of Institutional Change.
- Develop and implement regional Racial Equity Cohorts and individual member organization participation related to workshops, convenings, trainings, and other organizational capacity‐building for policy intervention, organizational transformation and strategy development;
- Provide technical assistance and support for development of Racial Equity Action Plans to address racial equity and inclusion for participating jurisdictions;
- Provide technical assistance to jurisdictions with implementation of a Racial Equity Tool;
- Provide technical assistance with development of specific measurable goals for each jurisdiction participating in the cohort;
- Build a team of trained facilitators ready to implement the racial equity training within each cohort participating jurisdiction;
- Organize and facilitate meetings and other strategic convening to support institutional change, policies, and programmatic work;
- Identify and build relationships with local advocates and key stakeholders;
- Conduct program‐related administrative tasks, including evaluation and assessment;
- Develop relationships with key government leaders and constituencies;
- Develop proposals and responses to Requests for Proposals / Requests for Qualifications to expand the jurisdictions with which GARE is working;
- Serve as a co-trainer in other regions as needed.
All Race Forward staff members are expected to demonstrate excellence in the following:
- Respect for differences whether racial, ethnic, class, sexual orientation, gender or class;
- Effective, respectful and timely communications with supervisors, co-workers, vendors and others;
- Effective team work and collegiality to ensure the timely, strategic and successful completion of work;
- Listens effectively, seeks and accepts feedback, and recognizes the importance of stitching ones-self, learning and growing;
- Is an analytic, thoughtful and strategic thinking and actor, considering the mission, objectives, work plans and goals of CSI's work and demonstrating an understanding of the impact of her/his decisions and behavior on the organization;
- Seeks out advice, counsel and permission appropriately, but is not afraid to act when it is required to be effective.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and anti‐poverty work;
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working with government;
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working with networks, coalitions, or cohorts;
- A strong organizational development analysis and a demonstrated ability to implement it;
- Demonstrated policy development and advocacy skills;
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills;
- Track record of strong facilitation skills;
- Excellent program management skills;
- Outstanding communication skills, written and oral;
- Ability to absorb and synthesize information quickly and adjust facilitation strategy accordingly; and
- Proactive, self‐directed, and able to multi‐task effectively.
This position requires long periods of time at a desk on a computer and includes inter-state travel, which may be frequent at times.
Salary Range: $84,000-$91,000
Benefits include: Employer paid Health, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Commuter/Remote Benefits, competitive Time off policies, and employer retirement contribution.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF or Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject GARE Gulf/Delta Region Project Manager.