Race Forward brings systemic analysis and innovative approaches to complex race issues to help people, organizations and networks take effective action toward racial equity. Race Forward is a national racial justice organization, founded in 1981, advancing racial justice through institutional and sectoral change; policy strategies; research; narrative, arts and culture; and movement and capacity building.
Race Forward works to achieve a just, multiracial democratic society that has dismantled structural racism in all of its manifestations. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlines and presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial annual conference focused on racial justice. Race Forward is home to the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities for all.
The Executive Assistant to the Senior Vice-President of Programs (SVPP) provides key support to the SVPP and Programmatic Vice-Presidents for their various duties involving program management, cross-program areas of collaboration, staff development and collaboration, and organizational growth and stability. This position is integral to insuring a smooth flow across Race Forward’s programs. The Executive Assistant handles logistical details to ensure that the SVPP and Program VPs are achieving optimal results.
This position is located in one of the Race Forward offices, either in New York City or Oakland. The position will travel occasionally, approximately every two to three months.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Schedule on- and off-site meetings for the Senior Vice-President and cross-program meetings, workshops and events.
- Arrange travel for various speaking and contractual facilitation engagements.
- Ensure accurate planning, arrivals, departures, and appropriate materials are in place.
- Maintain calendars for timely appearances, including real-time adjustments.
- Reconcile expenses, including logging expenses and receipts and coding to the appropriate General Ledger Code and reconciling in Certify / Mastercard expense system.
Communications, correspondence and programmatic support:
- Staff the SVPP in the cultivation, maintenance and development of relationships with existing and potential clients and partners. Participate in meetings with the SVPP and draft follow-up materials, including proposals, scopes of work, and project descriptions.
- Respond on SVPP’s behalf diplomatically and in a timely manner; flagging important correspondence immediately and preparing materials for the SVPP to review.
- Assist the SVPP with preparation of routine documents, such as bi-weekly program reports to the President of Race Forward, quarterly reports to Race Forward’s Board, and grant reports.
- Support bi-weekly Program Leadership meeting, bi-weekly SVPP meeting, and bi-weekly check-ins between the SVPP and program leadership, including scheduling of meetings, handling meeting logistics and technology, documentation of meeting discussions, and meeting follow up to ensure action based on decisions.
- Draft documents, before and after meetings to ensure discussions are well-informed and productive. Ensure that the SVPP has necessary preparation prior to meetings.
Program and development functions
- Manage projects that cut across program departments, including development of work plans, leading work groups, and tracking and reporting on results.
- Assist with cross-program functions, including development and implementation of logic models and work plans, tracking and informing staff of upcoming deadlines and deliverables such as project outcomes and/or annual, quarterly, and monthly narrative and financial reports.
This position requires the ability to provide executive level support, manage competing demands, and focus on results in a fast-paced environment.
In addition, the candidate must possess:
- Demonstrated commitment to Race Forward's vision and mission.
- 5 to 8 years of experience supporting executive officers or senior management and/or a bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, public administration or business administration.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Results-oriented with proven ability to manage multiple projects.
- Strategic thinking dedicated to achieving positive outcomes.
- Expert knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Basic knowledge of Salesforce; project management tools, such as Asana; and data management tools, such as AirTable, very helpful.
- The ability to operate in a direct, diplomatic and timely manner.
The salary range for this position is $62,000 - $74,000 annually. In addition, we offer an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurances, employer contribution to retirement plan and to flexible spending account, vacations, and a sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject heading, “SVPP Executive Assistant.” Resume review will begin January 21, 2019.