Position Title: Development Associate
Position Location: NYC
About Race Forward:
In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. With increased capacity as a joined organization, Race Forward catalyzes community, government, and other institutions to dismantle structural racial inequity and create equitable outcomes for all.
The new Race Forward is home to the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities. Race Forward publishes the daily news site Colorlines and presents Facing Race, the country’s largest multiracial conference on racial justice.
The Development Associate’s essential function is to support Race Forward’s work in all aspects of Development, including but not limited to donor and foundation prospecting, fundraising tracking and development database maintenance (using SalesForce), individual giving tracking and reporting, and support for financial tracking of sponsorships of Race Forward convenings and conferences.
- Conduct individual and foundation prospect research;
- Be responsible for fundraising database administration and maintenance of development database records;
- Be responsible for updating and maintaining accurate income tracking;
- Be responsible for running reports in our Salesforce database system to track and assess all revenue against goals;
- Reconcile revenue records with Finance, including preparing such reports from SalesForce as needed;
- Provide assistance with donor correspondence and relations, including gift acknowledgement letters and informational packets;
- Provide assistance with direct mail;
- Provide assistance with responding to donor inquiries and issues;
- Provide assistance in the tracking of Facing Race sponsorships, including but not limited to ensuring accuracy of signage and web placements, ticket assignments, material shipment and tracking, room assignments;
- Assist with grant administration, grant applications, and funder-related fee-for-service contract RFPs;
- Assist in the editing process of grants, grant reports, and donor correspondence
- Support the Development staff;
- Collaborate effectively with President’s office, and Finance, Communications, and Program teams as needed to support the Development team; and
- Perform other similar duties as required.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and racial equity;
- Strong ability to work closely with others in a small office environment;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong communication skills, written and oral;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality;
- Demonstrated strong interest in non-profit Development;
- Competence with customer/supporter relationship management tools; extensive knowledge of Salesforce a plus;
- Ability to produce high-quality work under tight, external deadlines and to set and manage own deadlines;
- Ability to self-start and multi-task effectively;
- Completion of at least four years of post-secondary education with a minimum of a Bachelor of Arts Degree or equivalent work experience;
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Competent in the use of the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator) and other digital creative tools.
This position requires long periods of time at a desk on a computer and may require time outside of normal business hours.
All Race Forward staff members are expected to demonstrate excellence in the following:
- Respect for differences whether racial, ethnic, class, sexual orientation, gender, or class;
- Effective, respectful, and timely communications with supervisors, co-workers, vendors, and others;
- Effective team work and collegiality to ensure the timely, strategic, and successful completion of work;
- Effective listening, solicitation, and acceptance of feedback;
- Willingness to seek proper authorization for action at need;
- Recognition of the importance of stretching oneself, learning, and growing;
- Analytical and strategic thinking skills, with the ability to act in consideration of the mission, objectives, work plans, and goals of Race Forward; and
- Understanding of the impact of her/his decisions and behavior on the organization;
Salary Range: $50,000.00
Benefits include: Employer paid Health, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Commuter/Remote Benefits, competitive Time off policies, and employer retirement contribution.
How to Apply:
Please address inquiries and submit your cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and three references in PDF format to email@example.com. Include the job title “Development Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls please.