FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $61,200-66,300
Location: On site Oakland or New York Location (preferred)/Remote Possible
Tentative Start Date: March 15, 2020
*All completed application packets must be received no later than Monday, March 2 at 11:59p for consideration. Due to the anticipated high number of applicants, we will only be contacting those that we wish to move forward with*
About Race Forward
Race Forward's mission is to catalyze movement building for racial justice. In partnership with communities, organizations, and sectors, we build strategies to advance racial justice in our policies, institutions, and culture. Race Forward imagines a just, multiracial democratic society free from oppression and exploitation, in which people of color thrive with power and purpose.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward.
The Conference & Convenings Coordinator will assist with a variety of duties that will help to successfully carry out the different objectives desired of the interdepartmental team known as Conferences & Convenings (C&C). The Conference & Convening team provides organizational event management support to help produce Race Forward’s trainings, regional learning cohorts and national conferences. The Conference & Convenings Coordinator will play a critical role in supporting Race Forward’s Institutional and Sectoral Change (ISC) department. This role includes, but is not limited to event planning, registration management, onsite logistics and room setup, catering, administrative and trainer support, assistance identifying event venues and managing event space contracts, developing event budgets and managing expense reports, scheduling for event related internal and external meetings, and note taking. The Conference & Convenings Coordinator will support the increased demand for Race Forward’s programming nationally by nurturing relationships and partnerships with our community partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinate logistics for a variety of organizational regional meetings, convenings and Race Forward’s annual and biennial conferences.
Identify and organize vendors essential for convenings, trainings and cohort learning sessions.
- Synthesize conference and training evaluations as needed to support improved system design for future events and trainings.
- Create and maintain registration events system (such as Eventbrite and Cvent) for trainings, conferences and meetings.
- Track and transfer information into Asana and other web-based project management tools for monitoring workflow of the event planning.
- Track and collate event expenses in budget sheets and reconciliation for a variety of organizational regional meetings, convenings and cohort learning sessions.
- Collaboration with Regional Managers on the Government Alliance and Racial Equity (GARE) Team to coordinate events. This includes tracking registrant applications, making decisions collaboratively with team members, informing applicants of decisions, and registration of scholarship participants.
- Coordination and delivery of materials and supplies to trainers at cohort sites.
- Problem-solving logistics changes or challenges as they arise.
- Tracking and collating of training expenses in budget sheets and reconciliation.
- Coordinating hand-off of venue and catering contacts to trainers; communicating about logistics and materials with trainers before each cohort session.
- Managing multiple email inboxes with the project managers; responding to general inquiries and forwarding emails to relevant staff.
- Communication with a variety of convening and training participants regarding activity calendar, scholarships, and logistics.
- Providing customer service to convening and training participants related to registration.
- Communicating with affiliate partners, trainers, and other consultants on logistics of trainings and other events.
- Cross department communication with Race Forward staff to ensure the success of event planning timelines.
Scheduling and Administrative Support
- Creating and maintaining streamlined administrative and e-filing systems.
- Scheduling meetings both within Race Forward and outside of Race Forward.
- Note-taking at team and other meetings.
- Support of travel planning for Race Forward’s training teams as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum three-five years of event planning and administrative experience.
- Excellent computer skills in online platforms and software such as Google Suite and Microsoft office products and project management tools like Asana.
- Experience with scheduling, procurement, and contracts.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including in multiracial environments.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Understanding of a Racial Justice analysis and framework.
- Occasional travel is required (>10%)
- This position requires long periods of time at a desk and on a computer.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Name – Conferences and Convenings Associate (ex: John Doe – Conferences and Convenings Associate).
Race Forward provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.