Title: Conferences & Convening Associate
Report To: Director, Conference and Convenings
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $50,000-$55,000
Location: On site preferred (Oakland or New York offices), possibility of remote
Tentative Start Date: mid-February 2020
About Race Forward
Race Forward’s mission is to catalyze movement building for racial justice. In partnership with communities, organizations, and sectors, we build strategies to advance racial justice in our policies, institutions, and culture. Race Forward imagines a just, multiracial democratic society free from oppression and exploitation, in which people of color thrive with power and purpose.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward.
The Conferences & Convenings Associate will assist with a variety of duties to help successfully carry out the different objectives of the interdepartmental team known as Conferences & Convenings (C&C). The Conferences & Convenings team provides organizational event management support to help produce Race Forward’s trainings, regional learning cohorts and national conferences. The Conferences & Convenings Associate will play a critical role in supporting Race Forward’s Movement and Capacity Building department and Policy program. This role includes, but is not limited to, event planning, administrative and trainer support, managing event space contracts, expense reports, scheduling, and note taking. The Conferences & Convenings Associate will support the increased demand for Race Forward’s programming nationally by nurturing relationships and partnerships with our community partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate logistics for a variety of organizational regional meetings, convenings and Race Forward’s annual and bi-annual conferences.
- Preliminary research to find and secure venues and caterers for convenings and trainings
- Synthesizing conference and training evaluations as needed to support improved system design for future events and trainings.
- Create and maintain registration events system (such as Eventbrite and Cvent) for trainings, conferences and meetings.
- Tracking and transferring information into Asana (web-based project management tool) for monitoring workflow of the event planning.
- Tracking and collating of event expenses in budget sheets and reconciliation for a variety of organizational regional meetings, convenings and Race Forward’s annual and bi annual conferences.
- Collaboration with project manager to coordinate Building Racial Equity (BRE) scholarship program (tracking applications, making decisions collaboratively with team members, informing applicants of decision) and registration of scholarship participants.
- Coordination and delivery of materials and supplies to trainers at BRE sites.
- Problem-solving logistics changes or challenges as they arise
- Tracking and collating of training expenses in budget sheets and reconciliation.
- Coordinating hand-off of venue and catering contacts to trainers; communicating about logistics and materials with trainers before each BRE.
- Managing multiple email inboxes with the project managers; responding to general inquiries and forwarding emails to relevant staff.
- Communication with a variety of convening and training participants regarding activity calendar, scholarships, and logistics.
- Providing customer service to convening and training participants related to registration.
- Communicating with affiliate partners, trainers and other consultants on logistics of trainings and other events.
- Cross department communication with Race Forward staff to ensure the success of event planning timelines.
Scheduling and Administrative Support
- Creating and maintaining a streamlined administrative and e-filing system.
- Scheduling meetings both within Race Forward and outside of Race Forward.
- Note-taking at team and other meetings.
- Support of travel planning for Race Forward’s staff and external partners.
- as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum three years of event planning and administrative experience.
- Excellent computer skills in online platforms and software such Google Suite and Microsoft office products and project management tools like Asana.
- Experience with scheduling, procurement and contracts.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including in multiracial environments.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Understanding of a Racial Justice analysis and framework.
- Occasional travel is required (>10%)
- This position requires long periods of time at a desk and on a computer
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Name – Conferences and Convenings Associate (ex: John Doe – Conferences and Convenings Associate).
Race Forward provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.